Friday 12 September 2014

Small steps.... big steps....


My last post on Run Reece Run reported on the measures taken in my post London Marathon recovery programme, not least my Pilates initiation.

Since then I am pleased to say that a number of very noteworthy steps have been taken which feature in this latest post.

Perhaps the most important steps of all are first steps and I am thrilled to report that within the last month Evie (grandchild 3, in chronological order) has raised interest among those seeking to identify running stars of the future by literally taking her first steps! 

 




First steps of a different order with Lila-Rose (grandchild 2) starting Reception class at school within the last week – and with a smile on her face!





Delighted to find inspiration from all my grandchildren, Harry hasn’t been outshone by his two sisters as he put aside his football interests in order to show off his running prowess, joining me last weekend at the Bearcat Running Club.  He remains insistent that he beat me in the run we did together!


In my endeavour to remain at least one pace ahead of the chasing pack of grandchildren, I have stepped up my own training on the back of all the stretching, Pilates and chiro that has been a significant feature of my life over the last couple of months.  While my right leg still feels some way short of firing on all cylinders I seem recently to have received fewer comments about lopsided running and my pace is definitely heading in the right direction.

Bearing in mind my objective of running four half marathons in successive weeks beginning on 21st September to be followed in week five by the Cabbage Patch 10 mile race, the focus of my training has been on increasing distance.  Once or twice as I’ve got ready for my longer training runs I’ve felt genuinely nervous with the underlying worry that one or other of my old injuries would flare up again.  In particular, four weeks ago, during the course of my first ten mile run since the London Marathon, I went through a whole range of emotions which thankfully ended in elation as I maintained a pace at comfortably sub 9 minute miles throughout.  Since then I even managed to cover the full half marathon distance in a time of just under 1h56m so I feel I’m ready to take on my autumn challenge, though I’m not planning on trying to push for a PB (1h44m for HM and 1h19m for 10 miles).

One other achievement in the last month has been to complete the Nuts Challenge again, taking part with friends from the Bearcat Running Club.  To have taken part in the event once this year was pretty nuts (check out the March post of Run Reece Run) – I’m not sure what the description is for someone who goes back for more, six months later!  Having said that, while I remain happy at one 7KM lap of the course, there are many who do two laps and some do as many as four laps – truly breath-taking nuts!




 


I’m looking forward to my next post, by which time I hope to be reporting on a couple of completed half marathons and looking forward to the main focus of my autumn challenge – the Royal Parks Half Marathon on 12th October (I feel I have some unfinished business in London!).


I close with a note of appreciation for the donations made to my fundraising for Shooting Star Chase, now getting close to £500.

Shooting Star Chase say about their work, “Whether lives are measured in days, weeks, months or years, we are here to make every moment count."  When I started planning my running schedule for the autumn the thought was very much in my mind of making as many as possible of my own moments count.  I very much hope the autumn running challenge I have set myself will inspire donations for Shooting Star Chase and help them to make even more moments count for children and young people.

To find out more about Shooting Star Chase and help me reach my fundraising target please visit my Just Giving page: 

https://www.justgiving.com/John-Reece/

With very best wishes...

John



No comments:

Post a Comment