Sunday 5 April 2015

Allez Reece, plus vite!


These are tricky times in the two week tapering period up to the Paris Marathon on 12th April.  In every spare moment my mind is replaying the same thoughts of the split times I am aiming for at 13 miles, 20 miles and then every mile from there to the end.  As if I’m not completely knackered from that, the significance of every niggle I feel balloons exponentially to a proportion where in my mind it becomes a portent of doom.  With this going on, it is just as well that, unlike my preparation for last year’s London Marathon, I have not abstained from alcohol this time!  In the weekend that marked the beginning of the tapering period I certainly needed a beer (well, a few actually!) as I felt the psychological pressures weighing down!  This probably had something to do with the fact that the weekend fell exactly one year on from when I sustained an injury two weeks before the London Marathon.

It has certainly been a long old trawl since my training for Paris started in earnest in December.  Though I may not have covered as many running miles as a number of others I know of who are training for a marathon in April, I think when you take account of the amount of stretching, foam rollering, pilates, and squats I’ve completed, I am up there with the rest in terms of effort!

My Paris mission has been in mind for almost a year, having gained my entry in the aftermath of my London Marathon experience.  Looking back, I’m not at all convinced that  back then I believed I would have it in me to run another marathon, particularly when I was forced to withdraw from the Edinburgh Marathon I was due to have run 6 weeks after London – at that point I wasn’t even able to run 2 miles (I did try!), let alone 26.2 miles!

However, over the 5 weeks leading up to the current tapering period, while I have had the gremlins persistently whispering their doubts, I have again and again proved to myself (to my genuine surprise) that in most respects I am in the best shape of my life to run a marathon.  This 5 week period started with the Hampton Court Half Marathon, which I mentioned in last month’s post, where I had the pleasure of running alongside club mate Frankie…
 
However, the most significant run for me was in the solo training session I did a week later.  My intention was to run a conservatively paced 20 miles with the key aim of sustaining a pace of about 9m10s per mile consistently throughout.  I was genuinely cross with myself over the first five or six miles of the run because I found myself running significantly faster than intended but just could not get my legs to cooperate and slow down.  I believed I was messing up the run and had every expectation that I’d hit the wall at mile 16 and slow down significantly.  However, by mile 10 I decided I just had to continue to go with the flow and it was with real amazement that I found myself only slowing marginally in the latter stages, to the extent that I reduced my personal best time for 20 miles by over eight minutes! 

Two weeks later at the 20 mile Kingston Breakfast Run, having had a niggle over the previous week that had meant I’d avoided running for six days, I again had in mind to run at a steady, slower pace.  However, once more I found myself much stronger than I had believed possible and was even able to comfortably increase my pace over the last two miles and knock a further two minutes off my 20 mile PB!
 
To complete the five week peak of my training, in the two weeks following Kingston, I ran a couple more half marathons (Salomon Trail Richmond HM and Hampton Court Palace HM).  In each I achieved a time that compared favourably with any half marathon I’d run over the previous 12 months.  Taking into account that for the first of these I also ran four miles immediately before starting the race, I feel the improvement in my performance has been sustained.


As things stand I have just a couple of persistent niggles, in particular one that has troubled me for the last 2 or 3 months in my left shin/calf/achilles area.  Nevertheless, in comparative terms I feel better than I can remember being at any time over the last two years!



For reference, my theory about the apparently sudden improvement in my 20 mile time is that this is significantly due to the amount of squats I’ve been doing!  This arose from seeing a Facebook post from a Bearcat Running Club friend referring to the “squat challenge”.  The challenge set out a 30 day programme building up from doing 50 squats on day one to 250 squats on the last day.  By the time of the first of my 20 mile runs, I think I’d reached the stage of doing 150 squats in one session and I am sure that the added strength from doing the programme has been a significant factor in my improved 20 mile time.  Since then I’ve completed the programme (in a bit more than 30 days!) and hope the improvement will be sustained.  Apart from the squat challenge, I am doing loads more stretching exercises than I did in my two previous marathon training campaigns and I have had the occasional visit to the chiropractic (after a more intense programme I had last summer to address the legacy of my London Marathon injury).  Another change in this year’s marathon training is that I am a much more regular participant at Parkrun.  This has increased the proportion of running I do at a shorter distance but faster pace.

Back home after the Hampton Court Palace event I had a significant déjà vu moment.  Having endured a post long run cold bath (another regular feature of my training regime!) for 15 minutes, I readied myself to get up and found myself recalling in detail the equivalent moment from almost a year to the day earlier, when, as I had stood up, I had found that I could not put any weight on my right leg!  I managed the manoeuvre this time with a fair amount of caution and a massive sigh of relief!

As well as my training, my fundraising for Kaira Konko Scout Active Support is now heading towards a conclusion and I am thrilled to say that, in the course of drafting this post, the total raised has overtaken my original target of £500!  I am very grateful for the generous contributions that have brought this about and any amount by which I can raise the bar further would be hugely appreciated.  A reminder that I covered more about the work supported by this charity in my earlier posts, particularly “Jeux Sans Frontieres” and “Certains laiment chaud “Some like it hot)”:



I also had a proud moment when my daughter Carmella posted this message on Facebook:
This time next week, my Dad will have completed the Paris marathon! This year, he is fundraising for a cause very close to my heart; Kaira Konko Scout Active Support. All money raised from his marathon sponsorship will go towards the construction of a borehole at Soma Lower Basic School, The Gambia. This construction will enable the Mothers Club to establish and maintain a school orchard, which will have long lasting impact for the school, its children and the local community.  The school orchard project, once complete, will provide a sustainable income for the school, food supplements for school meals, as well as a space for the children to learn and a place where they can make their own contribution to the development of their school.  Access to water is the one constraint, currently holding back this all important community project; a wall has been built to protect the land, the agricultural team have made plans for the vast area, and over 100 mothers are ready to get started.   Please support my wonderful Dad!

 
Donations can be made through my fundraising site:



I hope that as I approach the Paris finish line I will have the same look of focus and determination as I seem to have had when I reached the end of my autumn challenge.  I am looking forward to the thought of drafting my final installment of this series of Run Reece Run on the journey back from Paris.  I hope very much I will be proudly wearing a Paris Marathon medal! 

With thanks and best wishes,

JohnPlease support my wonderful Dad Access to water is the one constraint, currently holding back this all important community project; a wall has been built to protect the land, the agricultural team have made plans for the vast area, and over 100 mothers are ready to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment