Wednesday 25 December 2013

The going gets tough and Reece gets running...


The going gets tough and Reece gets running…

After my last post, sent in the euphoric glow of getting a place in the London Marathon, I enjoyed a reasonably relaxed few weeks of planning my training strategy.  However, the phase where physical exertion was pretty much an optional extra has come to an end and I am now into week 3 of an 18 week programme that is intended to get me in shape for a sub 4 hour marathon on 13th April 2014!

My intention has been to have a fairly easy progression towards the 4-5 training days per week that I expect to hit by late January.  This is partly to allow for the inevitable “distractions” (let’s face it - excesses) of the Christmas period and also in recognition that there are a few more aches and pains in my legs than I’m happy to admit to!  As I start drafting this post on Christmas Eve night, having had an early morning 6 miler, I have an ice pack on each calf and I’m contemplating putting a third down my pants!  [sorry about that – perhaps too much information!]

It was great to go out with the Bearcat Running Club on Sunday morning (22nd December) and complete 11 miles of running.  That’s the furthest I’ve run since September when I competed in three half marathons in a 4 week period (getting  a time of 1h51m in the first and 1h47m in the other two).  You’d think that having done the half marathons I wouldn’t see too much significance in an 11 mile run at a slower pace just three months later, but it was actually a massive psychological boost.  I’m “looking forward” to extending my long runs to 13-16 mile distance in the second half of January and then further extending the distance in February.

Apart from the once a week long runs I have also been starting to incorporate “interval training” in my schedule.  These sessions involve fast paced periods of running interspersed with recovery periods run at a significantly slower pace.  I did some of this in my training for the half marathons and they are certainly not much fun!  In these sessions I aim to complete at least 8 five minute cycles, each cycle split into 3 minutes at fast pace and 2 minutes at recovery pace (or the other way round in moments of desperation!).  The sessions start off OK but by the fourth or fifth cycle I’m just about hanging on with the very uncomfortable awareness that there are at least three or four cycles still to do!  This is supposed to be very good for my fitness but, as I say, I could do with a few less aches!

It is important for me to recognise that in the early phase of my training it has been a fantastic boost to receive messages of support and also contributions to my chosen charity, The Outward Bound Trust.  You will see from my fund raising page http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JohnReece that I have reached the £100 mark and these early contributions are hugely appreciated – they have really helped me stay focussed on my twin objectives – to raise £2,000 and run the London Marathon in less than 4 hours!

Anyway, as I finish this post on the night of Christmas Day, having got a “Santa Run” (another 6 miler) out of the way this morning, I’m looking forward to hitting a 16 mile run by my next post.  For now, I’m off to try some festive pain relief as an alternative to the ice packs….

Merry Christmas!!!
John
PS - if you're interested in how I got on in April 2013 at the Brighton Marathon see:  http://jrbrightonmarathon2013.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/saga-of-brighton-marathon-2013.html

No comments:

Post a Comment